Check out my Finished Items on the second page

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Don't like not having time!

Just a really brief update, cos I've got to pay the tax!!!!!

I've been nominated as a Schmoozer blog by the lovely Ruth. i will acknowledge it properly and put the associated medal in my sidebar probably at the weekend, or sometime soon. I've got to re-decorate my blog so I'll do it then, and I'll nominate some other Schmoozers too!!

Work is OK - ish!!!! I don't think I'll be staying there long-term, for all sorts of reasons, not least because i miss having time to walk the dog every day and do the things i now know are important (cook properly for example!) there are other reasons which I won't go into here and now, but may do later depending on whether I need help making up my mind!!!

The garden is brimming with runner beans and courgettes - I already have a fridge full and have been off-loading onto the neighbour!!! - I got a good deal though as she re-paid me with a jar of homemade marmalade, and some cakes !!!!

Finally..... all you eco-warriors out there..... I need to ask a question.... I know that parabens and SLS in shower gels etc are horrible things! - When I popped into Sainsburys the other day they had a deal on Wrights coal tar soap, which i have always loved the smell of as it reminds me of my dear Grandma's house when I was small.....so I bought it! - Looking at the ingredient list, (Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium palm kernelate, cocamide DEA, Parfum Glycerin, Sodium chloride, Tea Tree Oil, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid, Eugenol, Amyl, Cinnamal, Coumarin, Limonene, CI 11680, CI 15510) there are none of the dreaded parabens or SLS. So, as one who doesn't really understand such things - why did we stop using a good old bar of soap? Is there something in that list that is dreadfully horrific? - I know it's probably not "great" cos it does all sound a little chemical, but i just wondered why we all moved onto liquid cleansers when soap seems a bit less ....ermmmmm..... yucky!!!!

ooooh one other finally!!!!!!!! For those that enquired about the future of the rodent population in my vegetable plot (among other places)...... at the moment they are safe, I won't do anything that may interfere with my veggies. however i do think that maybe in the Autumn i might have to take the matter in hand a little, as one ran out of the lawn-mower yesterday when i was half way through cutting the grass, so obviously there are a fair few around! and it's not good for the chickens!!!

8 comments:

  1. Interesting question re soap. I suspect that bars are simply out of fashion compared to luxury liquids with moisturisers etc in fancy containers and maybe considered more hygienic than a bar that you handle and gets wet?

    Good luck with the mice??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer bars of soap to liquid, cos I think it feels nicer when you rub the bar in your hands......does that sound weird??? Unfortunately though, bars as opposed to liquid are supposed to be breeding grounds for all sorts of nasties:-( Hence the foaming, take the skin off your hands soap that we use on the wards:-( Glad to hear the mice are OK, and not causing too much havoc;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wright's coal tar...such memories. I didn't even realise it was still on the market. I remember my Nan and even my Greatnan using it. I think we have too much choice nowadays...does that make me sound old?
    I like the sound of the swopping you did...may get my first crop of beans soon...don't think they'll be enough to share though as I've just done some dwarf ones in a small tub. Hope you get a chance to do some dog walking.
    Rx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have just gone back to soap at home, trying to reduce our plastic and rubbish, we just have our own bar so I am sure there are no hygiene issues. I just hate the thought of all the chemicals, rubbish, manufacturing costs and stuff in making all the billions of plastic things. I am all for downsizing stuff, it is all just a money maker for the companys that sell toiletries anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how you mention 'Wrights Coal Tar' and you can instantly remember the smell!!! Memories!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hun - sending *hugs* but I can understand why you dont want to carry on with the job. There's a lot to be gained working less, and living more simply but enjoying life more fully ifyswim.

    If you have a glut of runners and courgettes, make some chutney. You will appreciate it in the cold winter months. Let me know if you need a recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean about working too much and having no time to do the things you enjoy :?

    An interesting point about the soap though - although we use both liquid soaps and pure-white-soap-with nothing-in-it-at-all at home depending on who is using it and for what purpose. The soap is for those of us with sensitive skins.... LOL!!

    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's green fairy soap in the kitchen that brings memories flooding back!

    I'll be looking for Recketts Blue next!

    ReplyDelete

i love comments on my blog. Thank you for taking the time. ❤️ 😊

ShareThis