Check out my Finished Items on the second page

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Two new ladies



Hoping DNphw will come up with some names when he visits next week. These are Rhode Island Red/Light Sussex crosses. They are the friendliest girls I've ever met, and are more than happy to be held and stroked (unlike the other two miserable old ladies) I didn't mean to get them (*blushes*) , but a local farm supplier sells them for only £6.75 and as Bea and Molly are not laying due to moulting (they'll be "oven ready" if they carry on much longer) I have realised that 2 isn't enough, and although I plan to hatch in the next month or so, the babies won't be laying for around 6 months. And I do miss my lovely eggs! (can't quite bring myself to buy them in the supermarket now) Although I won't get very many through the winter, I'm hoping that with 4 hens I should get enough for me! The hybrids are supposed to be really good layers and as they are just coming up to point-of-lay now, they should go through the winter giving me a few!!

13 comments:

  1. With pluckingham palace and the two new chooks You will soon have 'Chicken Run' !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are very impressive! And I hope you get lots and lots of eggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand the problem re.moulting chickens. Mine have gone from 5-6 eggs per day to 1. I can't bring myself to buy supermarket eggs either so just have to wait for them to start laying again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't Rocky in Chicken Run a Rhode Island Red?

    It must be wonderful to collect your own eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello new chooks! I like their new house, very swish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are a pair of great looking burds:) I feel a certain affinity already! It must be a fellow red head thing:) And hope they are soon very at home in Pluckingham Palace and laying eggs by the dozen

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're beautiful :o) and so is their Palace. Here's hoping you get a few eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up with your news. I feel very sorry for your poor little mouse! And poor you!

    The new henhouse looks very smart, hope the new girls settle in well.

    And good luck with the steeking, I'm sure it'll be fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very impressed with Pluckingham Palace! Hope the new girls settle in well.

    I love the thought of fresh eggs but I can't bring myself to keep hens. I grew up on a farm with the most menacing, evil birds you could imagine, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are very pretty ladies. Have you got names for them yet? Hopefully they will start laying soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We got 3 eggs daily with four hens, except for January when we had none atall!!!
    How did they get on with the older ladies when you put them intogether????

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooohhh, fresh eggs, yummy! Pluckingham Palace is looking great :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the name of the Palace! Our gander, Jo has his own shed! Sollettes! (Local shed builder...top quality!) Mum gave it to us...only the best eh!

    Dxx

    ReplyDelete

i love comments on my blog. Thank you for taking the time. ❤️ 😊

ShareThis