Check out my Finished Items on the second page

Saturday, February 02, 2008

How was January for you?

Well my goodness already a month of the year has gone - where does the time go?

In view of the fact that it seems to have sped by, I thought I'd have a think back over the month to see where it all went!!

Well I have been knitting furiously, so that accounts for a lot of the spare time - the Sunday cardi was finished (I'm wearing it now and it's snug!!) and Mavis was started and finished..... AND I've done the back and one and a half fronts of the Graffiti hoodie. I also made a little bag, for a round robin gift exchange on the forum, and made two dishcloths for another swap, one knitted and one crocheted. Hmmmmm that does explain some of the swift passing of the month then!

In making Mavis I finally learnt how to do matress stitch properly - and boy am I glad I did. I referred to my Stitch n Bitch book (which is great in times of crisis as the instructions are always sensible and easy to follow) and I am so happy with the result. I have always hated sewing up with a passion, not because of the time it took, but because to me it always spoilt my knitting - frankly I was crap at it!!! In recent years I've taken to knitting most garments in as close to one piece as possible and it has for the most part, worked. But knitting huge pieces can be tedious, and in some instances can spoil the shape........ so I'm REALLY happy that I've finally learnt to sew up properly. It did take a long time - and I got dreadful back ache (I was doing it on the ironing board - well let's face it, it needs to feel like it has a purpose in life), but the result was so pleasing and I'm chuffed. (Can you tell?)

I also registered for the race for life this month - and have been training 3 times (yes only 3, but hey it's January, it's dark, it's cold, and the race is 5 months away... and I started the month with a cold (sniff).......... okay I know that's not quite the attitude, but come March I'll be much more pro-active!)

What else happened??? - Well I had to work a bit, which is always time consuming.... and has culminated in the filing of a self assessment online on a website which apparently doesn't work when more than three people try to use it! (Or some other such reason for it being down on the 31st Jan) Honestly the slogan of "tax doesn't have to be taxing" has never rung so untrue!!! - I wouldn't mind but it wasn't my fault it was left to the last minute (something I don't usually do - the last week maybe, but not the last day) but I was let down by the accountant when I needed an answer to a question........ which took him a week to answer. I know it's his busiest time of year, but I was doing him a favour by filing the SA myself anyway - he should have been doing it. Methinks we will be finding a new one!

So that's kind of where January went!

February is already shaping up to being an exciting month! - I have decided to raise some more chickens. Some will be table birds (sorry !!) and some will be to extend the laying flock, especially as apparently the hybrids don't lay too well after a year/18months. I want to raise these new chickens from eggs though, and, what's more, in a natural way with a broody hen, not an incubator. So the first thing to do is to find a suitable hen for sitting, which I think will be a silkie or a silkie/sussex hybrid, which apparently turn broody at regular intervals through the year. Then as soon as she is settled and hopefully goes broody in a month or three I will get some hatching eggs of different breeds. (I really want an egg basket of different coloured eggs, so am looking at Legbars, barnvelders, and Dorkings - for blue/green, dark brown, and white eggs respectively ...... if I've got my breeds right!! and Sassos for the table birds) If the silkie doesn't go broody - well at least I'll get a few more eggs!!! LOL

So that's how the time has passed round here - how was the start to your year?

10 comments:

  1. Great chicken plans there, don't forget to show us piccies! Love to hear all your news and I hope you don't need to work too much this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh you have been busy! And no plans to let us in February either!

    The idea of raising chickens from eggs sounds fabulous, can't wait to see pics! We watched all the recent chicken programmes and have since decided that we will only eat free range meat/eggs from now on so the thought of rearing the bird yourself is very appealing! If only we had a big garden! (It does mean no chicken takeaways tho!)

    Well done on signing up for the Race for Life.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crikey wot a busy month!!! I know about the busy knitting thingy (gonna update my Blog today)and the Tax return!!! Im scared, are we leading paralel lifes or something???!!!
    Like the sound of the Chickens. Have always wanted to raise Chickens never really know why. MMM Maybe one day I copy you then get a Spot dog and hey presto I am you!!! Hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have used Bantams with great success in sitting and rearing other chook eggs. Even when the large eggs of Australorps were underneath the little bantams are quite happy. Also very fierce mothers and will keep away any predators that might appear.
    What a busy time you have had...and now up and running literally for the Race for Life. good on ya! p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Barnvelder and I hate to say it but the eggs aren't that much different to my others??!! Wish I had room for more chucks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck with race for life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been training three more times than me ;-)

    What a busy month ahead, like you I am wondering where January went to. I am quite sure there are less hours in a day than there used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh - I feel tired just reading what you have been up to. I really must make more jumpers this year - I think I have made myself a lifetime supply of socks already!

    Good luck with the training and the chickens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a good (& busy) start to the year. I must follow your example & get to grips with this sewing up stuff! Not found your blog before but I will be back -I will look forward to seeing how your new chickens settle in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! you have been busy!

    love Debs xx

    ReplyDelete

i love comments on my blog. Thank you for taking the time. ❤️ 😊

ShareThis